Wednesday, December 2, 2009

High Highs, Low Lows & everything In Between

I'll start with the highs...

I want to thank everyone who donated to bring Christmas to some very special orphans in Kyrgyzstan. When John first put out the challenge to raise $500 I knew it was a BIG goal. Even with the promise of taking a pie to the face if I reached the $500 mark, I knew it was a lot to ask. So I felt fairly safe from suffering from the pie.
But you guys really stepped up to the plate and the donations came in. You have no idea how thrilled I was to see my tally at $75 on my first day. $75!!! That's 15 kids getting a day they'll never forget.
And you guys didn't stop there!
By the last day of the challenge, Thanksgiving night, I was jumping for joy to see my total was $275! I never imagined we'd make Christmas possible for FIFTY-FIVE children!
With a few hours left in the challenge I put the word out on Facebook. I said if we could get to the $300 mark, I'd share a TMI story with y'all. Samsmama, donning her Superwoman cape, made ANOTHER donation and passed along the challenge to her FB peeps.
When I went to bed my total donations were at $295. I was overwhelmed by the amazing generosity of my bloggy and FB friends. It was an amazing feeling to enjoy as I drifted off to sleep.

Oh course, it may have also had something to do with feeling safe from flying pies and sharing embarrassing tales.

Anyhoo, the next morning I checked my final total so see whether or not I made it to the tell-all $300 mark.
I was shocked when I saw my final total..... $500!!!!!!!!!!

$500!!!!!!! That's ONE HUNDRED orphans' lives touched!!!!! ONE-HUNDRED CHILDREN who will enjoy a special day because of the YOUR generosity!!!!

I'm still in awe. I'm still overwhelmed. I'm still so full of gratitude for your generosity. You guys are awesome. I can not thank you enough.

So I'm working on my Tale of TMI plus recruiting someone old enough to hold a video camera so that I can do this pie thing in one take, mkay.

And unfortunately the lows...
Please keep Lori and her husband John in your hearts and prayers. I'm sure you all know Lori, she's the cute little perky commenter from Lori Does MD. They had to say goodbye to their beautiful little boy John Matthew just 8 hours after he was born. I still feel so shocked and heartbroken for them. It has taken me a week to even write this post. Matthew is beautiful and so very loved and his short little life has made such an impact on so many.

Tiny Angels

Tiny Angels rest your wings
sit with me for awhile.
How I long to hold your hand,
And see your tender smile.
Tiny Angel, look at me,
I want this image clear....
That I will forget your precious face
Is my biggest fear.
Tiny Angel can you tell me,
Why you have gone away?
You weren't here for very long....
Why is it, you couldn't stay?
Tiny Angel shook his head,
"These things I do not know....
But I do know that you love me,
And that I love you so".

Author Unknown

9 comments:

MtnMama said...

Your title says it - there are so many inspiring things to be grateful for, right in there with the sad, hard tragedies that knock the air out of us. My throat constricts with tears just thinking about what Lori and John have faced. I guess that's why I donated to the kids' - out of a sense of awareness of how lucky I am.

Frank Irwin said...

Let Hubby hold the camera, and the kids throw the pies. If it means multiple takes are needed, well, so be it.

I'm sorry to hear about Lori and John's baby.

Harmony said...

Congrats on accomplishing the $500 goal..I had hoped that you would make it, and my heart is rejoicing over the fact that you did. Woot!!! Can't wait to see what this TMI is going to be about. And? I wouldn't mind seeing a pie get shoved in your face. Do it for the kids! :)

I cannot imagine the pain that Lori and John is going through..they are in my heart and prayers.

Bev said...

Mala, you know my heart aches for Lori and John & their family. Life can be so unfair, and I hope they can find peace in the difficult days ahead.

Congrats on making the fundraiser a huge success! You are a champion for those Tok Mok kids and I'm so proud of you!

Much love.
xoxoxo

PS) I'll hold the camera. :)

Samsmama said...

So, so sorry for Lori & John. We have friends that had something similar happen last year. There's just no right words to say.

So, so happy you met your goal. I was happy to be a part of it. And I hope you know that to persuade my friend to make a donation I had to join FarmVille. You owe me. BIG TIME!

Mala said...

MtnMama - You said it well. We are so lucky.

Frank - Joe ended up doing well, but instructing him on how to use the camera... well, lets just say it was a toss up between him and the dog.

Harmony - I'm still working on that TMI story... I promise.

Bev - I could have totally used your video production skillz. I had some great ideas for the video but given my current crew, I figure I better keep it short and simple.

Samsmama - You lady are awesome!!!!!! Thank you again for donating and calling out your peeps! Farmville, eh? No wonder we haven't seen you around.

Lori said...

You know you always make me (and John, aka closet blog-reader)smile...and can't thank you enough for remembering us and thinking of us. Congrats on being pie-worthy--I never doubted!

Mala said...

Lori - Not a day or hour passes that I'm not thinking of you and John.

SEO Services said...

The girl above me identified the song right. Except I could have told you without googling it.It's off their Turtle Nip album, which sucks ballz for the most part, and I say that with love as a die-hard HHLL fan.