Sunday, April 12, 2009

What ARE The Chances?

OK, I've kept you waiting long enough...

The other day I was online chatting with a fellow AP (Adoptive Parent) regarding our search for Beck's Birth Mother and she jokingly said, "Don't you wish you could just Google her?"

I laughed. And then realized... I hadn't actually tried that. Hmmmmm....

So of course I immediately Googled her name and BAM! one hit! Some woman from... wait for it.... Kyrgyzstan who received some sort of sales award. No picture. No additional info. But still, my heart was pounding out of my chest! Could this be her? I mean, her name isn't Jane Smith. It's quite a specific name. How many woman from KG have the same name? One of my other friends, who also has a daughter from Kyrgyzstan, told me that it's common that a person's middle name is her Father's name with the suffix "kova". So this Google match has the same first name and apparently, the same Father's name as well.... What are the chances? Probably the same chance of having that hottie Ralph Fiennes showing up at the Tokmok orphanage... oh, wait.

I quickly get in a 3-way chat now with Hilary and tell her about my discovery. Within a few minutes Hilary types, "She's on Facebook"

What?!

I clicked on the Facebook link and the good news she actually has a profile picture... the bad news is Facebook makes it too wee to get a good looksie. DAMN!!!!! But you can tell at least, she's female, she's probably around the correct age and she appears to be Asian. Could this really be her? Could it be this easy to find her?!

So I sent a friend request with a note asking her if she's from Kyrgyzstan. I didn't know what else to do. And then I sat at my computer, refreshing my Facebook page... Hoping she'd at least just accept my friend request.

I'm still waiting.


And waiting.

15 comments:

Mom to 2 Angels said...

That's amazing, especially if it ends up being her!

Bev said...

Gotta love when it's the SIMPLE solution that yields results!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat... I hope she answers you! Did you send her a FB message or a friend request WITH a message?

Also, you're killin' me! I can't stand it any longer, I have to say it and risk being a grammar jerk, b/c I know you'll love me anyway. What IS the chances? Noooooooo! What ARE the chances! ARE! ;)

Hilary Marquis said...

Gotta love facebook huh? Patience is a virtue...one I don't seem to posses much of! Just remember you waited longer for Beck :) And I'd better get a phone call ASAP when you hear something!!! I don't care if it is 3:00AM.

Mala said...

LOL Bev! I know. I totally woke up this morning and my first thought was "Oh crap! That's totally wrong... Gotta change it before Bev spots it!" But then I opted for coffee first and then, well, I'm just lazy. But I'll fix it now, I promise. Gramma is such a struggle for me. I always stop and think, WWBD (What Would Bev Write)?

Bev said...

You crack me up!!! You know it was killin' me. I'm such a dork.... But I'm ok with my dorkiness if you are! :)

Thank you... I can rest easy now. Phew!

Lori said...

Shut the front door! That's flipping amazing! Holy cow...can you imagine?

I hope, hope, HOPE that this works out for you. You will then be obligated to get in touch with Al Gore and thank him for inventing the internet. Ha ha.

Jackie said...

OMG...I'm waiting on pins and needles!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish the google idea had worked for me! Oh, well. I will live vicariously through you and hope that someday I will locate Jyly's siblings and birth mother. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed in West Texas!

Mala said...

Thank you ladies.
UGH. Still no word.
I sent a message seperate from the friend request. Shoot! Was that wrong? Damn! What to do?
Would it be too stalker-ific if I sent a friend request to her friend? Eek, that does sound a little too stalker. Plus, I don't want to risk exposing her, just in case. Arrrrrrr! The suspense is killing me!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW!!!! Mala wouldn't that be amazing?! I'll be stalking your blog...

Maria said...

Well, if she's like me I might go several days before checking FB. She might not have I'net all the time. But, OMGoodness what a freak thing! I googled Ellie's b-mom's name as soon as I got home --- no hits. Maybe I should try again. Granted, I think she lives in REMOTE Kyrg. Let us know ASAP when you hear, ok???? Exciting stuff.

janiece said...

Holy crap! That really shows how small the world really is. We don't have anything for Alihan, Rauan's mother specifically does not want any contact(remote, old ideas, etc)--but now Julia's biological parents were married and I have their names. Hummmm, might have to check this out!
I'm anxious to hear what you find out!!!

Bev said...

Well, I hope it's not "too stalkerish" to request her friend's friendship... 'cause I did it this morning, yo! I'll let you know if I get a response.....

Cary McNeal said...

Any answer yet?

Mala said...

Still no word.
Honestly, for the first 6+ months I had face book I think I checked it twice.